About House & Home: Fall Gardening and Harvesting

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Diane Schmidt, your About House & Home Editor
With fall quickly approaching, I'm starting to long for those long afternoons spent in my garden, weeding, watering and wondering just what my plants would produce. But just as I started to reminisce, I found some great articles with tips on fall gardening, including what to plant, tasks to do, and ways to preserve the harvest so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor even as the cold winds begin to blow.

Veggies to Plant in September
I've never planted a fall garden before and at first I was a little intimidated, thinking I'd have to keep a close watch on the weather, panicking when the temperatures dipped too low. Little did I know that the cooler temps allow me to grow veggies that summer suns are too strong for - like arugula that always went to seed far quicker than we could consume it.

Tips for Growing a Cool Season Vegetable Garden
Now that you've decided what to plant, find out how to prepare the soil, when to plant and how to sow for the best results. For instance, did you know that you can plant seeds directly into the ground even when the temperatures dip below zero? I didn't either!

How to Ripen Green Tomatoes
This is the problem I'm facing right now. My tomato plants are bursting with green fruits that won't ripen in the now-cool and rainy weather. I'm just glad that I came across this article on how to turn green to red so I can start to enjoy my fall harvest.

Canning Tips & Resources
My mother was a huge believer in canning. Every fall we spent days preparing vegetables and fruit for winter feasting - cleaning, dicing and cooking - knowing that the fresh garden flavor would be so welcome once the snow started to fall, reminding us of the warmth of summer suns.
See More About:  dehydrating  recycling  pressure cooking

 


House & Home Ads
Featured Articles
America's 9-11 Memorial Quilts
Pet Health Insurance 101
10 Thrift Store Shopping Tips
How to Drain a Flooded Basement
Host an Apple Theme Dinner Party
Replace Your Headlight Bulb

 

More from About.com

Favorite Summer Frozen Drinks
Blended with ice or chock full of fresh fruit, these yummy drinks will liven up any warm-weather gathering. More>



Best Frozen Summer Desserts
Ten easy, delicious, make-ahead desserts that will cool you down on the hottest of summer days. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About House & Home newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2011 About.com
 

Advertisement

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © artis korea. Design by Templateezy